Progress Report


In contrast to the dramatic changes every day during the first few weeks, now a little bit happens each day, and it seems like it’s taking forever. When we last visited our heroes, they were finishing the floors. DH wound up putting three coats of paint and three coats of water-based sealer on our bedroom floor. Of course, each coat had to be dry before the next coat was applied, so for a couple of days he was getting up an hour early to put a coat of whatever on, and then coming home and putting on the next coat. By this point the boys had moved back into the house, mattresses on the floor and no door to the room. Since they were right next door to our bedroom, they didn’t appreciate DH’s routine anymore than I did, but we all knew it wouldn’t last forever, so we just grinned–uh, not really–and bore with it.

After running the monster over all the remaining floors and applying a coat of sealer, Rundy was dissatisfied with the results. No one wanted to fork out the cash for another day with the monster, so he spot sanded and applied another coat of sealer, relocating the boys’ mattresses to whichever room wasn’t being worked on. (The girls found the vapors from these various coatings more bothersome than the boys did, and didn’t move back until that was all over with–on September 22nd.)

Next, the doors were hung, and then Rundy started cutting and staining trim. The stain has been a sore point with all of us: is there any color stain that doesn’t look fake when applied to pine? Rundy had purchased some Black Walnut stain, hoping to complement the color of the floors, but it was way too dark and screamed cheap furniture. The stain on the trim in the bedrooms is Colonial Maple, the stain on the trim in the hallway is Provincial, and the stain on our bedroom doors is Golden Oak. First Rundy cut the trim to fit the particular room he was working on, and then he took it outside to stain it. Staining trim is a tedious process, and even with a couple of stations going it took quite a while. In between sections of trim he managed to find time to paint the hallway a cheery yellow. After that was done, DH could finally install the hall light fixture. When he was on the last of the trim Rundy started staining the doors. We are all quite pleased with how the hallway looks.

While Rundy has been working on these finishing details, DH has been working on our bed. He drew several diagrams while he was designing it, but claimed none of them would give me a good idea of how it would look, so I’ve been dying of curiosity. As he actually started assembling it I got quite excited. It kind of has the feel of a poster bed, except the top is not a canopy, but a platform on which to store boxes or other containers. To me it is a wonderful blend of the practical and the romantic. Practical, because it’s meant to have a lot of storage space above, below, and even behind it–there are small his-and-her closets built in the back. Romantic, because there are details built into the design that are purely aesthetic, some of which no one but us will see. For example, the top platform is composed of cedar boards cut in a chevron pattern. You can’t see this unless you are tall enough to look over the top (which I am not), or laying down on the bed, which, of course, we will be doing every night. In effect, the most dramatic part of the design is for our eyes alone. And it will be topped with the quilt Titi made for our silver anniversary. Tonight he’s putting the first coat of polyurethane on it, tomorrow the second, and hopefully by Monday we’ll be upstairs sleeping in it.

Today Rundy went shopping for materials for some of the furniture he’s committed to building.